Wednesday, March 12, 2008

I'm not really political but RIGHT NOW I AM!

I've been consuming presidential debate-speech-campaign internet videos nonstop today trying to get off my Obama/Clinton fence and finally side one way or the other. Without the internet I don't know how I'd begin to research and formulate an opinion. Unfortunately, I'm still not sure that I have one... or a solid one for that matter.

The question I keep asking myself during this 'Obama-craze' is, "What has this guy done?" With only 2 years in the Senate I'm obviously not the first to ask this and maybe experience shouldn't matter as much as it does so for me; so for the moment I'll look past this as well as the long list of other superficial attributes that make him a hot candidate for many people right now and explore what is pulling me to vote for him.

Change. I believe it's his message of change that draws myself and many others to him. That is the motto of his campaign after all, right?... or is it 'Yes We Can'? To-mae-to, to-mah-to. Either way, if you listen closely he's always driving home how "conventional thinking" has gotten us where we are today. Video after video he never fails to mention "conventional thinking" like a buzzword in relation to his opposing candidates and then of course, follow it up with how he's an evangelist for change. I can't help but feeling like I'm being taken advantage of in the same way Bush took advantage post 9/11 with fear politics to gain support for his war.

Is it just me or does anyone else cringe every time he mentions "conventional thinking" and "change" like a parental figure shaking the perpetual finger at a misguided youth, "uh-uh-uh, if you don't like the state we're in little Timmy you better vote for something different this time, vote for change." It all just feels too rehearsed and opportunistic for me but don't get me wrong... Hillary Clinton is no peach, I'm about as ready to vote for her as I am Obama.

But seriously, if you can tell me why you would vote for Obama I would love to consider it.

This is the umpteenth video I saw where Obama chimes in with his "conventional thinkng" buzzword immediately followed with well-spoken sentiments of him=change.

Show me he's more than brilliant rhetoric and I will vote Obama.

No comments: