Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Seafood Chowder

Ever notice how food has a way of tasting better when you make it yourself? I wonder if there's a name for this phenomenon... uh oh, I feel another Urban Dictionary post coming on.

Anyhow, like some of the other recipes I've posted here in the past I wanted to share this one with you because it's probably the dish I make most frequently and for good reason...

  • Super cheap - ingredients for this dish never costs more than $10 and will last you 3-4 days.
  • Super easy to make - virtually no prep time, is ready in minutes and no messy clean up.
  • Super healthy - it's good for you!
How to make - mix the following ingredients in a pot over med-high heat for 10 minutes
  • 1 can diced tomatoes 20 oz
  • 1 can mixed vegetables 14 oz (drain juices)
  • 1 can Hutch's diced tomatoes with green chili peppers 10 oz (this stuff adds just the right amount of kick)
  • Salmon or shrimp 1/2 lb
  • Cilantro (optional)
I prefer the salmon but I usually make it with shrimp because adding precooked shrimp means one less step. The picture below is an example with salmon. I have to give credit to Mi Madre for the original recipe, which also included corn, cilantro and chili powder. The key is to find a can of Hutch's, that stuff adds mad flavor!



Enjoy with bread to offset the spice

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow Joey! Mom also put cilantro too, if i rmeember correctly.

Joey Infortuno said...

Ah! yes, cilantro. Thanks, will add that to the list of original ingredients.